"Preserving the future,
one seed at a time."
Please recommend us
Informational Resources for
to Main Map
Iowa Frost Dates
Iowa Gardener - A free e-newsletter and associated website about
gardening in Iowa for Iowa gardeners.
from the Garden: An Organic Guide to Growing Vegetables, Berries, and Herbs in
Cold Climates - by John Whitman. Fresh is simply best. To get the
tastiest, most nutritious produce, you have to grow your own, and in a cold
climate this presents unique challenges. Fresh from the Garden will help you
extend the growing season to produce the best vegetables, berries, and herbs,
right in your own backyard. The guide includes more than 150 edible plants and
helps you decide which varieties to choose; where and how to plant, tend, and
harvest them; and what to do with your bounty. Fresh from the Garden is a
clear, concise (yet comprehensive) guide, with nutrition information tables
and hundreds of helpful color photographs. A gardening text book!
When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
- by Steve Solomon. This is a more advanced book for those who are serious about raising food. In this volume, Steve explains why intensive gardening methods are not natural and therefore require great amounts of energy and effort to maintain. A lot of information regarding soil health and cover cropping is included.
Places to Visit:
Arboretum - 1875 Peach Avenue, Madrid, IA 50156
Moines Botanical and Environmental Center - 909 East River Drive, Des
Moines, IA 50316
Dubuque Arboretum and Botanical Garden
- Marshall Park, 3800 Arboretum Drive, Dubuque,
Living History Farms - 2600 NW 111th
Street, Urbandale, IA 50322
Pella Historical Village and Scholte Gardens
- 728 Washington Street, Pella, IA 50219
- Iowa State University, 1407 University Boulevard, Ames,
Teaching and Research Greenhouse
- University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA 50613
Please help make this site better . . . Report outdated links and please make suggestions!